top of page

about us

Passionate about Inspiring Others & Improving our Community

Inspired by an article, sixteen ambitious women met in March 1913 to organize what they hoped would be a service club.  The outcome of that meeting came in June 1913 when nineteen ladies signed the Charter of Incorporation for the Woman's Club of Bradenton.  Their motto, "be not simply good, be good for something". 

 

In 1918, two lots on Wares Creek, at the corner of Manatee Avenue and Virginia Drive, were purchased for the sum of $2,500.  The membership voted in 1920 to build a clubhouse. With only $11,500 in the treasury, a loan was secured from Bradenton Bank & Trust Company for $11,000. The final agreed-upon price with the architect was $23,000.

In 1921, the building was completed. The Club had a beautiful home to

dedicate but not a single chair to sit in. A distress meeting was called and

enough was collected to buy chairs in time for the night of the building’s

dedication.

These amazing ladies paid off the mortgage in 1925.  Funds were raised through bazaars, rentals, sewing projects, selling lunches to local workmen who were building a new downtown hotel, and a citywide capital campaign.  No easy task during the Great Depression!

Our members today share the same passion and determination to better our community and serve others.  Through GFWC's five pillars of service: Arts & Culture, Civic Engagement & Outreach, Education & Libraries, Environment, and Health & Wellness, we have donated thousands of hours of volunteer service, in-kind and monetary donations. 

What's going on in

the Federation?

General Federation of Women's Clubs

GFWC emblem.jpg

Founded in 1890

The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is a unifying force, bringing together local women’s clubs, with members dedicated to strengthening their communities and enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. With nearly 80,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and more than a dozen countries, GFWC members are community leaders who work locally to create global change by supporting the arts, preserving natural resources, advancing education, promoting healthy lifestyles, encouraging civic engagement, and working toward peace and understanding. For more information, please visit www.GFWC.org.

GFWC Florida Federation of Women's Clubs

GFWC Florida logo transparent.png

Organized February 21, 1895

 

Admitted to the General Federation of Women's Clubs on
January 25, 1898. 

 

GFWC Florida’s 189 clubs and 7,500 members are organized into 14 districts and include general women's clubs, junior clubs, and juniorette (high school) clubs.

bottom of page