Our Humble Beginnings
History of The Bradenton Woman's Club
The story begins…
An article inspired sixteen ambitious women to meet in the Jeplinor Hotel in March 1913 to organize what they hoped would be a service club. The outcome of that meeting came in June 1913 when nineteen ladies signed the Charter of Incorporation for the Woman’s Club of Bradenton. Their motto, “be not simply good, be good for something”
In 1918, with only $3.00 in the treasury, two lots on Wares Creek at the corner of Manatee Avenue and Virginia Drive were purchased for the sum of $1500.
The membership voted, in 1920, to build a clubhouse for not less that $20,000. With only $11,500 in the treasury, a loan was secured from Bradentown Bank & Trust Company for $11,000. The final agreed-upon price with the architect was $23,000.
In 1921, the building was completed. The Club had a beautiful home to dedicate. But not a single chair to sit in. A distress meeting was called and enough was collected to buy the chairs in time for the night of the building’s dedication.
A COLLECT FOR CLUB WOMEN
By: Mary Stewart
KEEP US, O GOD FROM PETTINESS;
LET US BE LARGE IN THOUGHT, IN WORD, IN DEED
LET US BE DONE WITH FAULT-FINDING
AND LEAVE OFF SELF-SEEKING
MAY WE PUT AWAY ALL PRETENSE AND MEET EACH OTHER FACE TO FACE,
WITHOUT SELF-PITY AND WITHOUT PREJUDICE.
MAY WE NEVER BE HASTY IN JUDGEMENT AND ALWAYS GENEROUS.
LET US TAKE TIME FOR ALL THINGS; MAKE US TO GROW CALM, SERENE, GENTLE.
TEACH US TO PUT INTO ACTION OUR BETTER IMPULSES, STRAIGHT-FORWARD AND UNAFRAID.
GRANT THAT WE MAY REALIZE IT IS THE LITTLE THINGS THAT CREATE DIFFERENCES,
THAT IN THE BIG THINGS OF LIFE WE ARE AS ONE.
AND MAY WE STRIVE TO TOUCH AND TO KNOW THE GREAT COMMON HUMAN HEART OF US ALL.
AND, O LORD GOD, LET US NOT FORGET TO BE KIND