An article inspired sixteen ambitious women to meet in the Jeplinor Hotel in March 1913 to organize what they hoped would be a service club.
The outcome of that meeting came in June 1913 when nineteen ladies signed the Charter of Incorporation for the Woman’s Club of Bradenton. Their motto, “be not simply good, be good for something”
In 1918, with only $3.00 in the treasury, two lots on Wares Creek at the corner of Manatee Avenue and Virginia Drive were purchased for the sum of $1500.
The membership voted, in 1920, to build a clubhouse for not less that $20,000. With only $11,500 in the treasury, a loan was secured from Bradentown Bank & Trust Company for $11,000. The final agreed-upon price with the architect was $23,000.
In 1921, the building was completed. The Club had a beautiful home to dedicate. But not a single chair to sit in. A distress meeting was called and enough was collected to buy the chairs in time for the night of the building’s dedication.
WHAT DO WE DO?
The philanthropic projects include Bradenton Library, The Children’s Academy of Southwest Florida, Inc, Habitat for Humanity, Manatee Boys and Girls Club, HOPE Services, Council on Aging, Adopt a Family, Special Olympics, Manatee County Nursery Schools, Children’s Home Society of Florida, Adopt a Highway, Meals on Wheels and a variety of Assisted Living Homes.
For the past three years, the membership has been actively involved in repairs and renovations to the Clubhouse with the goal of returning it to its original condition.
In addition to our Fundraising projects the building is available for rent for wedding receptions, Birthday parties, Anniversary parties, or any special event, during our monthly dance fundraiser. See our web site at: www.thebradentonwomansclub.com
The Bradenton Woman’s Club is a non-profit volunteer organization for the betterment of the educational, moral and civic condition of the community that has served Bradenton since 1913. We receive no funding other than our own fund-raisers.
Interested in joining our club?
Membership Chairman: Sandy @792-4610
The General Federation of Women's Clubs is an international organization dedicated to community improvement through volunteer service and to providing opportunities that strengthen the role of women.
“BE NOT SIMPLY GOOD,
BE GOOD FOR SOMETHING”
Bradenton Woman's Club
General Federation of Woman’s Clubs
A Non-profit Charitable Organization Serving Bradenton
Bradenton Woman’s Club
1705 Manatee Avenue West
Bradenton, Florida 34205